LINES LINES LINES LINES








We had just moved back to the states from Germany and I saw an advertisement for a play called Bus Stop. 

Ever the novice, I was unfamiliar with William Inge and the play written to memorialize a particular time and place of midwestern life and- like all clever playwrights- to poke a little fun too. 

I pulled my dark hair back out of my face and put makeup on for the first time in I don't know how long. I put on my lucky blue shirt... sadly, that shirt doesn't fit my ever-blooming frame anymore...could explain a lot actually....

Side note: The shirt is lucky because I wore it when I had my first ever audition and again for the audition that set me firmly in the 1800s and no longer an only child but the eldest of four daughters (Little Women). 

And that first glorious director, Victoria in Germany, who bravely took a chance on me, a young mom, with virtually no theatre experience unless you count a 5-second cameo in a high school play. Her willingness to take me in and teach me so much led me directly into an endless love affair with bright lights in my eyes and the exquisite feeling of being bit over and over by a relentless and ravenous theatre bug.

So, feet firmly landed in Kansas and for the first time as a newly brandished thespian in new territory, I crossed my fingers and asked for prayers and positive vibes from friends and family in faraway places.I will never forget it. I was a little early and LOT nervous. This is a small town, and everyone knows that the Theatre community is a tight-knit one. To break-in, requires either a herculean effort or the talent equivalent to the miracle at the wedding at Cana. 

Hercules and Jesus, I am not; but for some reason that didn't preclude me from sticking out my right hand, smiling big and introducing myself.

I will always remember the sweet smile on his face as he took my hand in his. He simply said it was nice to meet me and his name was Rich. I subsequently introduced myself to everyone else standing there and one woman as she took my hand said, "Let me guess, Cherie?"

Having no idea what she was talking about I bashfully said my name again. Turns out that she was assuming that I was auditioning for the part of Cherie. If that wasn't providence I don't know what is.

Richard Bayse is a tall man. Barrel chested with a laugh that sends a contagious ripple through everyone around him.  He is one of the most patient, kind-hearted, talented individuals I have ever met.

I was so happy when I was cast. And we were all quite the team. Rich and Nancy (our stage manager extraordinaire) seemed to have a weird 6th sense that each person they chose would bring something really fun and spectacular to the stage as they brought their characters to life. I honestly felt like they may have made a mistake in casting me among these talented people, but I was too elated to reveal their error to them.

Some casts feel kind of arbitrary. 

This one, we ended up being a family.

Our production was hit with so many challenges. Illnesses (rehearsals were in the winter and of course cold and flu season took its best shot), car troubles, injuries, and even one cast member ended up hospitalized with a nearly fatal intestinal obstruction and needed emergency surgery. ONE. WEEK. Before Opening. We were all devastated. We were so worried about our dear friend whom we had grown so close to, and naturally, we were worried that the last 6 plus weeks were to yield a show cancellation because how could we possibly go on without our Bo? (Bo the yin to my Cherie's yang). 

These are the times that one could expect fuming and hair pulling and white knuckles.

Rich, well, he is entirely extraordinary. He, in genuine love and concern, visited our ailing friend in the hospital. He prayed with us for healing. He sent us individual messages of encouragement. He called in reinforcements. 

Our new Bo learned the entire play in ONE WEEK. Blocking, lines, everything. He brought new energy to the band of characters that wondered how on earth we would get through. He made us laugh, he worked so hard, and yet his talent made it look effortless. Though we missed our friend, this new godsend fell in so beautifully it was as if he had been with us all the while. Not only were we able to get through and perform but we did so well our play received accolades in the local paper.

I had the privilege to work with Rich again in a play called Belles. I wore his bathrobe for the role. I remember him chuckling and quipping that making me frumpy was posing quite a challenge. I have never had the comfort of feeling especially beautiful but in his kind way, he made me feel like a little girl who is delighted in by her father or mentor.

Every rehearsal or conversation during production ended with him joyfully yelling, "LINES LINES LINES LINES"

I came to hear that as fondly as one does when they hear, "I love you". 

Because he was willing to risk letting a new girl into the gang I gained some friendships that will remain for a lifetime. I gained confidence that somehow got me through to tenaciously audition over and over again always as the new girl, the unknown. (Sometimes actually getting a role! Even once on television) 

Getting to know Rich as a director and seeing him perform in plays himself have imprinted such beautiful memories on my soul but none like the feeling of knowing him as a friend. 

Last night, one of those dear friends from our cast gently shared the news that my beloved friend has passed away.

The indelible mark some heroes leave in this world and on our hearts cannot be encompassed by something as limited as language.
My heart is broken but also so full. Rich, you are a talent and visionary, an artist, and of the highest caliber of character on and off stage.
You made us believe in the person you brought to life on stage and behind the scenes but more than that, for me, you made me believe in myself.
That I had something special. That I AM something special. You once called me Florence Nightingale for helping bandage you up on set.
You took a chance on a stranger and I walked away with family.
If I ever am blessed to stand in a spotlight again it’s because of you and the gift you gave me to share that space with you and the amazing casts and crews I was privileged to play with.
I will do everything I can to honor you. You were among the living saints here on Earth and now you take your place in the brightest light of all.
You will never be forgotten, my friend. I love you.
The first picture is the night I met you. The last two were prepping to go on for Bus Stop; photographic proof that I was held by one of the greats.

I love you so much and my heart breaks for a world without you in it. But I will cling to the hope that we will meet again.  

“LINES LINES LINES LINES”





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying a New Thing

Dinner Guest

Begin Again